Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cue Tip Contrast

So, this may be the weirdest thing ever, but I played with a Sniper tip (trying it) for about 1 year. Although, my preferred cue tip was the Everest (both tips made by my former employer), the Sniper was the headliner and the tip that outsold all the other tips combined. I thought my customers and the general market place couldn't possibly be wrong, so a Sniper I went with.

I hated it. The whole year. Why go a year if I hated it, because I accept that adjustments must be made - I must adapt. So, hating it was just part of adaptation - I thought.

I never could get used to it, so after 12 mos, back to an Everest I went, but now... I wanted a little something else out of my tip, but just could not put my finger on it.

Being the type that will dwell on an issue until I completely understand it...I dwelled. Must have been 6 months or more....

So, the wild hair I got was to try the Sniper again, but this time - since I never could play with "blue" tips I colored the sides of it Black (after installation) - coining the name "Sniper del Negro" - kinda like the secret menu at In-N-Out Burger (e.g. double double - Animal style).

And guess what...It worked. This is to date the best tip I have found for me. Why you may ask...Due in large part to contrast.

I am a firm believer that the darker (now Black) cue tip provides far more contrast against the white cue ball; therefore it is easier for me to identify where exactly my tip is pointing - resulting in a more accurate hit.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I tell you...there is something to it!

Try it for yourself.

Know this; anytime I install a Sniper, I ask the cue owner if they want it Black - explaining why I ask - and 100% of they time, they go Black!


No comments:

Post a Comment